S & G Stores

The picture above would have been a familiar sight to many shoppers during the late 1960’s, 70’s, 80’s and early 1990’s. The business was set up by two Polish ex-servicemen, Napoleon Szenher and Zbigniew Gorne, who came to Scunthorpe after the Second World War, they started with virtually nothing and, over the next 35 years, built…

Scunthorpe’s Spitfire

During World War Two towns across the country clamoured to sponsor Spitfires and Scunthorpe was no exception. The sum required to have a named Spitfire was £5,000 – a Scunthorpe Spitfire Fund group was formed and the money was raised by 1943. One of those who help raise funds was Florence Spooner who during the early…

Aerial views

There have been many aerial views taken of the town and local area, this page aims to build up a portfolio of such images.   This aerial view features the Civic Centre (above) in the middle with central Park to the left and Brumby Sports Ground to the right. The foundation stone for the Civic…

Warship was adopted by the town

The Borough of Scunthorpe has had a long association with the armed services, during World War 2 the town sponsord a Spitfire aircraft in 1943, two years earlier in 1941 the town adopted HMS Vanity during Warship Week in December 1941. HMS Vanity was a 1,090 destroyer built at Dalmuir and had a length of…

Frodingham Footbridge

Frodingham Footbridge has had somewhat of a chequered history both in it’s present form and it’s original incarnation. The original 400 feet long footbridge over the railway lines was opened on 30th July 1929; however, a partial collapse in 1954 saw the need for a new footbridge to be constructed. In October 1956 work was progressing well…

Canonisation changed the name of new school

The St Augustine Webster School (as it is called today) was officially opened on 3rd May 1967 by the Bishop of Nottingham, the Right Reverend Edward Ellis.  The school was originally named Blessed Augustine Webster Primary after the 16th Century Prior of Melwood in the Isle of Axholme.  It was three years after the official…

Crowds flocked to the opening of Sheffield Park

Sheffield Park was opened on Wednesday 26th May 1926 and thousands of people from the area flocked to the park to watch the formal opening ceremony. The park was established on land donated by Sir Berkeley Sheffield and gave a great lift to the public of Crosby and the surrounding area because the year was…