Transport of various types have played their part in helping Scunthorpe grow, from haulage companies to bus operators, on this page we aim to build up a gallery of those.
Details of the Hornsby’s bus company can be found here.
Early 1960s Austin LD high top van (mobile Shop) taken c1965. The van belonging to the Scunthorpe Co-operative Society (SCS). 498 FFM was used as a mobile shop by the SCS. It is see here on Station Road outside their garage/petrol station which was located opposite the current train station. This building now belongs to the Hartwell Ford dealers.
A Clugston’s lorry outside The Baths Hall on Doncaster Road
An old Thames lorry belonging to J.G Clugston Ltd the company being named after John Geary Clugston who died at his home in Scunthorpe in July 1951 aged 74.
A view of a Hornsby bus awaiting departure from the old bus station c1960s
A Trimdon Motor Services 1947 AEC Regal/Thurgood B35F belonging to Eva’s Amusements
A tow truck belonging to Marshall’s Garage in Scunthorpe. At this time Marshall’s were Dodge and Jowett distributors and Austin agents, their main works and sales department were on Station Road whilst there Service and Spare department was on Old Crosby Road.
Bagworth of Scunthorpe
Carey’s Removal & Storage were based at 31 Smith Street.
The Progressive Motor Omnibus Service came to Scunthorpe in 1922 and by 1925 had established offices in Grosvenor Street, they merged with Enterprise and Silver Dawn Motors Ltd that same year. Between 1922 and 1925 the Progressive Motor Omnibus Service concentrated on services between Scunthorpe and the surrounding villages, as can be seen from the destination boards at the front of the Straker Squire double-deckers. The location of this photo is thought to be at the bottom of the newly constructed Doncaster Road Hill.
J Harvey’s lorry loaded with piling, the company were based on Station Road.
A delivery wagon used by Charles Grant’s grocers and drapers shop in Ashby c1906, the business stood opposite the Crown Hotel.
A dust cart and its crew features here on Ville Road, Ashby. In the drivers seat is Percy Hudson Gilbert who worked for the refuse department. It is thought the photograph dates from the 1920’s.
Two wheeled transport was the vehicle of choice for the steelworkers as can be seen from this shift change scene on North Lincoln Road. The Appleby Melting Shop can be seen top left whilst top right the soaker pit chimneys of the Plate Mill can be seen.
This horse-drawn coach was operated by R.I. Swaby, landlord of the Blue Bell hotel, and was nick-named The Blue Bell Flyer. It ran between the train station and the Blue Bell and the Lord Roberts Hotel. It is pictured here outside the Lord Roberts, the driver is thought to be William Parrott.
In April 1958 it was reported that the Scunthorpe Remedial Recreational Club had received its own transport in the form of a twelve seater ambulance thanks to the generosity on Lindsey County Council. The ambulance was being used on Mondays and Thursdays to convey handicapped people to the clubs headquarters on Oswald Road, and to swimming seasons at the Baths Hall.
Local bus company Enterprise & Silver Dawn was created in 1915 by Charles Chatburn, a foreman on the Frodingham works, the business was run from premises in Digby Street until 1929 when it opened this bus station just off the High Street.
The bus station just before its closure in the late 1960’s
A steam driven tipping lorry of Scunthorpe Urban District Council
In the seat of his Tarmac lorry is Harry Hornsby at the Scunthorpe loading bay.
This bus was new to the Enterprise and Silver Dawn bus company in March 1932 and was No50 in their fleet, it was a 32 seater and in 1942 was fitted with a second-hand Willowbrook body (ex Trent). The photo was taken at the old Scunthorpe bus station which opened in 1929. Johnson Brothers shop can be seen on the High Street. The driver is Mr W Davey. The bus was sold to Kildare Coaches in 1949 and it was last licensed in December 1952.
A view at the North Lincs Haulage Depot off Grange Lane North in 1969, the South Ironworks can be seen in the background. The lorry belonged to a fish meal factory in Hull.
A fleet of 3 new lorries destined for local haulage company Marshall’s are seen here outside the Lincolnshire Motor Campany premises on Brigg Road, Scunthorpe.
Scunthorpe train station c1973
These vehicles belonged to Lincolnshire Poultry Products Ltd (know locally as The egg Company) seen here at their plant just off Dudley Road. In 1948 the company were based on Frodingham Road but moved to these new premises a few years later. The eggs were collected from farms and smallholdings, sorted, graded and packed into boxes. The eggs were then delivered locally by lorries or vans, the company employed around 30 people. Later the company moved into the chicken and turkey market, providing many families with their Christmas dinners.