On this page we will try to build up a portfolio of the various pubs that trade or have traded within the Scunthorpe area, some pubs are steeped in history and deserve their own page like The Crosby Hotel, others will be added here over due course.
Opened on Thursday 10th November 1977.
Built for Whitbread East Pennines Ltd for their Whitbread pub empire. The first Licensees of the new public house were Jim and Ann Curtis, formerly of the Priory Hotel who were also celebrating their 26th wedding anniverary on that day. The pub had two large rooms with an L shaped lounge, each room had seating for 60 people. The Beckwood was built with no public bar as it was felt that these rooms were out of date.
The architectures were Brian Watson and Bernard Rowell with the main contractors being H N Slingsby Ltd of 64a Mary Street. Installation of the sanitary ware and the decorative exterior panel was done by Buckley Bradshaw and Son of 2 Priory Crescent, manufactured joinery materials were provided by Kass Construction Ltd of Winterton Road and all plastering was done by Kirton Plastering Co.
The name Beckwood was the responsibility of 69 year old Josephine Maskery of Princess Alexandra Court who having looked into the history of the area found there used to be a bluebell wood nearby and adding this to the fact there is also a beck nearby she came up with the name.
The Poacher opened in 1968 on Marsden Drive, it closed in 2012 and was demolished in 2013.
The Queen Hotel
The Queen on Rowland Road opened on 12th October 1898, it was commissioned Thomas Woodruff Woodley and his son William Woodley. It also had a bottling store at the rear of the premises where they bottled their own beer. It was named after Queen Victoria and although was later referred to as The Queens it should really be quoted in the singular.
London born Thomas Woodley retired to Lincoln around 1908 and his son William the became the proprietor along with is wife Catherine. They ran the Queens until 6th April 1922 when they left to take over the Sheffield Arms in Grimsby. William & Catherine had two sons,Tom and Frank – Tom returned to Scunthorpe in 1953 to run the Ashby Ville pub but went back to Grimsby in 1959 to take over at another pub – he died in 1977 aged 80.
William Woodley was well known in the Scunthorpe area and was affectionately known as King Billy. He was a Justice of the Peace, a member of Lindsey County Council, the Scunthorpe & Frodingham Urban District Council and the Brigg Board of Guardians. Not only did he own The Queens Hotel but also the Frodingham Sports Club (Rabbit & Net) and all the houses next to it on Queen Street.
The Queen was somewhat ahead of its time, the paraffin lamps were quite labour intensive and needed to be kept in good order so William Woodley had a 45 acetylene light plant installed by the Leading Light Syndicate Ltd of Hull.
In 1975 permission was given for The Queen to serve beer and breakfast to shift-workers from 6am -8am (later adjusted to 5am) six days a week. The pub continued trading up to September 2008 when the owner, Ian Clark of McLane Taverns, closed the Queen citing trading losses at around £350 a week, it was said on some days more money was being taken on the morning shift than from a whole night’s trading.
These were originally built as residential properties on Mary Street c.1910.
The property to the left had already opened as a bar, The Parksinson’s Arms, in 1966. The featured property was converted into a bar which opened in 1981 under the name of Enoch Tutties before becoming Tatters, a third name change saw it re-branded as Bar Rendezvous. In 2006 it closed for 18 months and re-opened with a fourth name change of Zest.
The Maple Leaf opened c1970 and was so called because it formed the focal point of the new Canada Farm Housing Estate. The estate name came about due to the land being that of the former Canada Farm and the subsequent roads built on the estate named after the Canadian theme. The farm was call such due to the former Canadian prairie like farm house which once stood there. When the Maple Leaf close it was demolished and the land now contains 9 houses – the development being called Maple Leaf Mews.