This building has had many uses over its lifetime; it has been council offices, a fire station, maternity home, museum, a library and is now residential accommodation.
A well known landmark in the Frodingham area, the building initially became the home for Brumby and Frodingham Urban District Council (UDC) and fire station. It stands on Cottage Beck Road, on the border of Frodingham with Brumby.
The Urban District Council offices were opened by chairman of the council, George Peart, in February 1903. At the time, the Urban District Council’s coat of arms, depicting two blastfurnaces, could be seen above its entrance.
When Brumby and Frodingham UDC amalgamated with Scunthorpe UDC (which included Ashby & Crosby) in 1919 the building became a maternity hospital and initially part of the nearby Cottage Hospital on Rowland Road. That was the arrangement until 1936 when the two buildings were replaced by a new maternity hospital on Brumby Wood Lane.
In 1937 the building became Scunthorpe Museum’s second home boasting eight exhibition rooms, an office, work rooms, storage and a caretaker’s house, as well as a room used as a branch library. Various clubs have also used rooms in the building including the Scunthorpe Camera Club and the Scunthorpe and District Model Railway Club.
The Cottage Hospital on Rowland Road became the Coronation Club in 1937.
The building served as a museum until 1953 when new premises, the former Frodingham Vicarage on Oswald Road, became available.
From 1953 it was converted and served as Frodingham library until 2001 when it was closed down.
The building was boarded up in April 2001 and remained empty for over seven years. It was sold by North Lincolnshire Council at a public auction in December 2004, for £110,000 – almost three times the guide price but remained boarded up.
In November 2008 work began on a £350,000 transformation of the building to convert it into a block of 9 flats, with the first residents moving in by Christmas 2009.
Although not a Listed Building, it is in a conservation area and much of the original façade was restored, the only structures being removed being the chimney stacks and an old boiler house.
The building seen on the right of the main picture (top of page) is the Wesleyan Chapel which is now the site of Holloway’s bus garage and offices.