This page aims to look at people and the events they took part in throughout our towns history.
Pictured above is Harry Singleton, many authors of the various pictorial books (including this site) owe a great debt of gratitude to these early photographers who captured images of our town. Cameras at that time would be in the possession of wealthy professionals and would take time to carry around and set up. Many early pictures show curious people lined up along our High Street as these early photographers set up and took their pictures. Harry Singleton had a wooden hut studio on the High Street, roughly opposite the Oswald Hotel.
The picture on the left shows Scunthorpe butcher David Jenkins and branch manager Tony Walters in 1972 displaying what was reputedly the world’s longest giant lamb roll. It was made from 61 breasts of best British lamb, stuffed and trusted with 250 strings.
Many people will recall his butchers stall in the Scunthorpe market food hall where he auctioned meat off later in the day.
A church parade consisting of Territorial Army soldiers of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry No3 Scunthorpe Troop are seen here marching down Scunthorpe High Street on 25th April 1909. At the head of the troop are Mr W. Woodley of the Queen Hotel and Mr J. Fowler. The single story building is at the corner of Cemetery Road (now called Francis Street) and was the studio of local photographer Arthur Henry Singleton (seen at the top of the page).
A line up of fire engines past and present are seen here at the Opening Ceremony of the new Scunthorpe Fire Station on Laneham Street in 1963.
This unusual view of the damage to the 60ft high chimney of the Co-operative laundry on the corner of Doncaster Road and Exeter Road.It was high winds during the night on 4th September 1951 that the chimney was dislodged, staff arrived for work to see the stack leaning precariously and in imminent danger of collapse. All 70 girls of the South Yorkshire District Co-operative Laundry Association were sent home as a precaution – the chimney finally canted and collapsed at midday whilst a skeleton staff were away at lunch.Workmen started to repair the chimney on the 5th September and it was hoped it would be back in position by that night. Mr. C Reynolds, a manager of the Association from Barnsley, said that, “work was back to normal, there is now no danger and the contractors considered that the chimney could be re-erected by today.” he added, “except for damping down the fires when workmen were securing sections of the chimney together, work at the laundry would continue.” Three batches of work had been sent to other branches in the area and it was hoped to catch up on yesterday’s work by the end of the week.
Employees of the Enterprise and Silver Dawn Bus Company are seen here at Scunthorpe bus station in 1935, the occossion was to mark the Royal Silver Jubilee of King George V. The lady in the centre of the front row, wearing the cash bag, has been identified as Dolly Dury.
A lady and two boys surveying bomb damage to a house on Station Road in Scunthorpe during Word War 2
Steven Batty (left) and John Batty right on the back of a Humberside Fire Service van at Family Weekend in the early 1980s. The driver is Tony Priestley. Do you know the boy in the middle?
VE Day celebrations in Bruce Street.
Bob Buckley who worked for Scunthorpe Borough Council Highways Dept is seen here on Ashby Road during the dualling of the stretch between Queensway & Rowland Road in the 1960s
A line up of Girl Guides taken in 1965 prior to the annual St. Georges Day Parade. From the left is Heather Mitchell, Jean Hare, Christine White, Evelyn Smales, Barbara Burnett and Lynn Jackson.
Children of Avon Road area dressed up for the Queens Coronation party at the Drill Hall on Cottage Beck Road in the early 1950’s. The boy with the violin is Derek Marshall whilst the white rabbit is Jaqueline Simpson, others include Audrey Theaker, Wendy Clayton, Michael Cowling, Joan Hand, Tony Naylor, Pat Glasson, Ann Cuthbert, Michael Blanchard, Kay Duffet, and Barry Hand.
Below is Her Majesty the Queen and Prince Philip in a royal procession along Scunthorpe High Street in 1954.
Royal procession along Scunthorpe High Street
Bar staff line up for a photograph on the opening night of Tiffany’s in September 1974
Members of the Reform Club on Cross street in 1915. The club went on to become the Mayfair Club but has since closed down.
Counter staff at David Todd’s shop on Oswald Road in the 1950s. The shop was next to The Majestic cinema. Second right is Mr Dent who was incharge of one of the counters, extreme right is Mary Bywater who was a cashier.
Labourers and some Ashby children near the Screeds on the North side of Ashby High Street c1907
Thatched roof repairs to this cottage which stood at the corner of Oswald Road & Water Lane c1890. Water lane is now called Station Road and the cottage was removed in 1910.
Pictured here is the winning team of the Frodingham Potty Pram Race in 1998. The winning team, The Queens, are seen here celebrating outside the Brumby & Frodingham Working Mens Club on Cottage Beck Road.
The Mayor Cllr Alan Smith holds the potty whilst second on the right is Landlord Dave Gibson.
Charter Day parade heading up Scunthorpe High Street on 10th October 1936
Elephants from Billy Smarts Circus paraded through the town in the 1960s seen here at Britannia Corner. the circus was held on playing fields at the bottom of Station Road.
A drey horse leads the carnival float parade which set off from Everest Road playing firled en-route to Quibell Park as part of the Family Weekend event in the early 1980’s. On the drey (hidden by driver )was Liz Dawn who played Vera Duckworth in the ITV soap Coronation Street.
Callister’s Model Bakery stood at 147 High Street, Scunthorpe seen here in 1912. The man in charge of the horse is Mr Callister and the load of bread was being taken to the Normanby Park Show.
A steam roller outside Munro’s Drapers on Scunthorpe High Street. The Santander Bank now occupies this building.
Taken from the corner of Cole Street looking west up Scunthorpe High Street after heavy rain.
A Temperance march is seen here outside the Church of St. John the Evangelist.
Crowds gather on 20th June 1897 for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Day
Crowds gather on 20th June 1897 for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Day
23rd June 1955
Sir Berkeley Sheffield at the war memorial in 1936. The war memorial is seen here situated in its’ original location on Doncaster Road, it was moved to its’ present location outside the museum on Oswald Road on 23rd June 1955.
The Scunthorpe leg of the national ‘Peoples’ march for jobs’, passes the Furnace Arms in Scunthorpe High Street in 1983
The Scunthorpe leg of the national ‘Peoples’ march for jobs’, passes British Home Stores in Scunthorpe High Street in 1983
The Duke of Gloucester is seen on the right, at the official opening of Quibell Park in 1949.
In the line of people following the Duke of Gloucester is the Mayor of Scunthorpe, Edwin Pittwood.
Prince George opening the Kingsway/Queensway section of the Grimsby to Doncaster trunk road during his official visit to Scunthorpe in 1933
Scene from the British Legion County Rally in Scunthorpe outside the Public Baths on Doncaster Road on 21st June 1936. Sir Berkeley Sheffield is standing behind the podium third from the right.
Pipers Herbert Such and Derrick ‘Doc’ Soulby lead a Pensioners Rights Parade along Scunthorpe High Street on 20th Sept 1991. The large Parker Franks building had previously been the Scunthorpe Co-operative’s flagship store.
Members of the Iron & Steel Club in 1927
Ladies on Scunthorpe High Street c1962
Geoff Scott at the bar of the Railwaymen’s Club in the early 1960’s – it was situated in Bell Lane
Geoff Scott (above) worked as a fireman at the Frodingham depot for 10 years from 1958 during the time the British Railways Modernisation Plan was underway – aimed at replacing steam loco’s with modern diesel electric engines. He is able to recall a photo shoot on the footplate in the Stainforth area with two men, a woman in a mini-skirt and a bear cub which was aimed to advertise the Smokeless Fuel Campaign. Both he and his driver, Reg Mottram from Barnetby, were promised copies of the pictures but they never received them – however they were given £1 each for their troubles. At this time the Frodingham depot had 70 locos on its books and even 18 months before it closed to steam it was nearly 40 strong. In the diesel era Geoff became a ‘second man’ on the engines.
This picture dates from c1935 and is of joiners of the Mackenders builders yard situated on Ashby High Street. The man stood in the centre is Fred Pope, second right is Billy Marshal and on the right is George Mackender who owned the business. The builders yard now has houses built upon it and is called Mackender Court.
VE Day celebrations are seen taking place on King Edward Street. The two ladies on the left are Tina Griffin and Dorothy Wallis. The children include Janet Jarman and Brenda Blackburn.
Steelworkers marching up Scunthorpe High Street on 7th February 1980 during the steel strike. The man & woman together at the front are Jean and Eddie Neasham. The small lady in front of the sign is Shirley Williamson (now Pearson), to her right is her husband John. Also identified on this march are union man Pat Brennan and Nigel Hadwick.
In this second march on 1st March 1980 the steelworkers are seen turning from Howdens Hill into Station Road.
The crew of HMS Ariadne seen here after they were awarded the Freedom of Scunthorpe in 1984.
A formal ceremony in 1973 had seen the town adopt the newly built Leander Class Frigate which had been commissioned in Plymouth. The Ariadne was decommissioned by the Royal Navy in May 1992 and sold to the Chilean Navy in that year. It was renamed the General Baquedano and after 12 years service it was sunk as target practice in 2004. Prior to it being sold to Chile, one of the Ariadne’s anchors was presented to the Mayor of Scunthorpe, Councillor Terena Towndrow, by the Captain of the ship, Commander D.L.W Sim RN on Monday 6th April 1992 and stands on the entry road to the Civic Centre whilst the ships bell is afford a prominent spot outside the council chamber. You can read more about the HMS Ariadne and it’s connection to the town here – Warship was adopted by the town
This glider was forced to make an emergency landing on the Normanby Park steelworks sports ground at Foxhills in 1961. The houses on the left are on Foxhills Road whilst Normanby Park steelworks can be seen in the distance.
This photo shows a band just emerging from Mary Street onto Oswald Road c1946 – the occasion is unknown. Ernest Rushton’s shop on the corner sold records, sheet music and musical instruments. The shop later had music booths where the youths of the day could go and listen to their favorite records before buying them.
Children playing in Jubilee Park, Ashby in the early 1960’s
Smith Street residents during V.E Day celebrations on 9th May 1945, the man seated in the centre is 57 year old William Kiddle.
C.W. Marshall’s garage was situated on High Street East, Scunthorpe. The model car was used for advertising, it was used at events such as Scunthorpe Hospital Carnival. Seated in the car are Albert Harrison left and Phillip Marshall. Standing are Reg Hanley left, and Bill Othen – 1938
Staff of Kirmans Ironmongers outside the Chapel Street store in 1964, the photograph was taken as part of the stores Diamond Anniversary celebrations.
Children from Gurnell Street School taken in Gurnell Street looking c.1910
The school can be seen at the end of the street on the right.
Scunthorpe & Frodingham Urban District Council’s Health Department taken sometime between 1919 and 1936
A dust cart and its crew features here on Ville Road, Ashby. In the drivers seat is Percy Hudson Gilbert who worked for the refuse department. It is thought the photograph dates from the 1920’s.
30 F registered Morris Minors which were supplied to the Grimsby Borough Police Force in 1967. The cars were supplied by Baden Powell of Ashby High Street. The cars are seen here across the road from the Baden Powell premises on a grass field where Sunshine Hall stands today.
Warners Factory on Grange Lane South in 1989. The factory closed in the 1990’s and in now a bowling allay called Warners Lanes.
The Blue Bell decorated for the Coronation of George V in 1911. An advertisement at the time described it as a ‘Family, commercial and posting house’ and hotel agents to ‘The Great Central Railway for delivery of goods and parcels’.
Scunthorpe golfer Tony Jacklin seen here on a victory parade along Oswald Road after his win in the 1969 Open win.
A family enjoy the large slide in Central Park in the 1960’s, the paddling pools were at the other side of the toilets and shelter seen behind.
We’re uncertain what this presentation is for. The location is on Foxhills Sportsfield which belonged to the Normanby Park (Lysaght’s) steelworks. Local resident Ray Woodcock explains; The houses are BISF – British Iron and Steel Federation – and although there are many around town there are only two pairs of properties that display one particular item evident in the photo. The gap between no’s 31 and 33 and again between 63 and 65 Foxhills Road was too narrow to attach the outbuildings to the houses. So on these two locations only the outbuilding were built back-to-back in the rear gardens as can be seen directly behind the man in the Trilby hat. No other BISF homes ever had this particular double shed layout. And of the two site I believe this to be behind 63/65 Foxhills because of the strange patterns on the ground where they are standing and the old brick rubble of something demolished which is still evident on Google Earth today. All the town’s steel houses were built in 1947/1948 so the date of thos photo couldn’t have been earlier. The gardens look to be established right down to fully built greenhouses and the trees are not in leaf. I would agree it’s in the 1950’s and not summer so that rules out the Lysaght’s gala.
Former Scunthorpe United and England football goalkeeper, Ray Clemence, officially opening the synthetic pitch at Quibell Park.
The Britannia pub landlord, Jack Haughey, flying the flag in support of Scunthorpe United’s first visit to Wembley Stadium for the play off final in 1992.
Street party on Mulgrave Street in 1945 celebrating the end of WW2. Jill Molnar is on the far left of the front row, seventh left of the front row is Maureen Naylor and on the 2nd row right of centre is Dorothy Farr.
American film actor Tom Mix and is wonder horse Tony arrive at Scunthorpe train station for a show at The Savoy Theatre.
Frederick Butterworth welcomes American Film star Tom Mix and “wonder horse” Tony to the Savoy Theatre
The ribbon being cut to the re-opening of the Littlewoods shop following a £200,000 revamp on 19th November 1987. Performing the opening ceremony were former employees who started work there in 1938, Barbara Brown, Kathleen Davies, Florence Spooner, Joan Cowling and Belinda Spence. On the right is manager Frank Phillips who explained a new food hall area and clothing section had been created along with 15% more retail space. During the early 1940s Florence Spooner had helped raise funds for Scunthorpe’s Spitfire.
Coronation celebrations on Warwick Road in 1953. The prefab houses were built post World War 2 to help with the housing crisis.
A heartbreaking sight for many children as Bennet’s cycle and toy shop (at the corner of Frodingham Road and West Street) was engulfed by fire just over a week prior to Christmas in 1969. Many parents would have being paying weekly for bikes and toys and would collect them in the run up to Christmas. This also marked the first occasion the Scunthorpe bridge had used its hydraulic platform.
Santa arrives in 1951, crowds line the route from the train station to the Co-operative Emporium. Santa is seen here at the top of Scunthorpe High Street.
A view of builders during the construction of Shirley Crescent 1937-38. Ted Jewitt is the first man knelt down on the right.The houses in the background are on East Common Lane, the rear of the houses on Cemetery Road can be seen on the extreme left. Fish Builders were the construction contractors, Mr Fish named the road after his daughter. Mortgage deeds from 1939 show one of the houses first sold for £475.
A procession heading along Scunthorpe High Street just passing The Oswald Hotel on the corner of Francis Street. Although the date and occasion is not known it features Dick Spivey in the car and Tom Trout behind with others following on various cycles. Dick Spivey had a motor shop in Crowle.
Cycle speedway was a passing fad in the mid to late 1970’s and a track was constructed at Scunthorpe Hobbies Centre, Grange Lane South in 1976 by the then Scunthorpe Borough Council at a cost of £4000. The track had the best facilities in the area. It was located in the grounds of the Scunthorpe Hobbies centre and had changing, toilet and refreshment facilities. The track itself, although fairly small, had a slight banking on the corners and a good quality shale surface and a metal fence around it. Two team used this track as their home venue, the Scunthorpe Scorpions and the Scunthorpe Tigers, the latter team only being in existence for 2 years – 1976-78.
Opening day event on 20th June 1976
The cycle speedway track at the Hobbies Centre during construction in 1976
Children playing in Jubilee Park, Ashby, during the 1970’s
The Scunthorpe Motor Cycle Club display at Quibell Park c1970. The club is possibly one of the longest established sporting organisations in the area. Having been formed in 1923 the club ran up until 1927 and was reformed into its present state in 1929. They still have most of the original silver trophies from 1923 and the club meeting minute books from that time up to present.
Crowds gather outside the Constitutional Club on Station Road (now called High Street East) to await Sir Berkeley Sheffield after his bye election win for the Parliamentary Seat in February 1907. The bye election was caused by the resignation of HJ Reckitt (Lib) who gained the seat in 1906 General Election.