Charter Day was one of the towns’ most proud days when the celebrations were held for the creation of the Borough of Scunthorpe on 10th October 1936.
However 23rd November 1964 was a proud for Graham Shucksmith as he handed over a display casing, which was to house the Borough Charter in the Civic Centre.
The 5th year Doncaster Road Boys School pupil was chosen to make the display case, as he was good at woodwork, his teacher was Vernon Smith. The case took a month of four hours a week worth’s of work to complete. It’s made of aggber wood with a glass front and a sliding perplex lens to cover the seals.
The idea for making the case came from the council’s Finance and General Purposes Committee. It said committee members wanted the Charter to be displayed along with the Civic Plate and felt it a good idea if the case was made by a pupil at one of the boys’ schools in the town.
Before the display case was made the Charter was kept rolled up in a red box.
The Charter of Incorporation as a Borough was handed over on 10th October 1936 by the Earl of Derby at a ceremony held at The Old Show Ground on Doncaster Road. The Charter which came into operation on 9th November 1936, was one of only five issued during the Reign of Edward VIII – who, coincidently, was never crowned as King, he abdicated before his coronation.
The first meeting of the new Borough Council, at which the first Mayor was elected and gifts of Civic Regalia presented, was on 7th November 1936.