Many readers will remember Else’s Newsagents & Tobacconists shop in Ashby; it stood next to the Brown Cow pub (now the site of Lidl) and nearly opposite Ashby Library (now used as a fitness centre). The shop and adjoining buildings were knocked down in the 1990s and is now the site of a number of bungalows at the corner of Ashby High Street and Everest Road.
Judy Valerie Else had the shop until she retired in March 1988. Her parents, Peggy and James Else, had initially run the shop – they had married at St. Paul’s Church in 1938.
It’s understood that Judy’s grandfather had also ran a newsagents business in either Lindley Street, Ashby or Lindsey Street, Scunthorpe.
Judy grew up in the newsagents working in the shop, she took over the business when her parents died and ran it until ill health forced her to retired early in 1988. The newsagents was in a terrace with the shop at the front and the living accommodation behind and above. It sold newspapers, tobacco, sweets and even a few toiletries.
The shop was her life and she made many friends with people who used the shop but her biggest love was her German Shepherd dogs, she also helped out with the Scunthorpe Dog Training Association, which met at the nearby Brown Cow.
Many people will remember entering the shop and the German Shepard would come through from the back of the property.
Judy never married and had no immediate close family, after her retirement she went to live in Oxford Street, Ashby and passed away in March 2004.