Demolition on Cole Street in December 1968 during redevelopment work of the area, the buildings were making way for the new precinct.
Crosby Flats on Market Hill in the late 1960’s.
A view along Kingsways at the junction with Glanville Avenue, this access onto Kingsway is now blocked off with a Pelican Crossing at this point.
Looking along Doncaster Road in 1957. On the right are the walls to Doncaster Road School followed by the former police box. The ironstone house is now a pub called Class 6 and further along is The Ritz Cinema which later became Tiffany’s nightclub and Henry Afrikas.
A view along Ashby Road during the early 950’s prior to this section being dualled.
Britannia Corner c1955. The toilets would be behind the photographer with a car at the traffic lights on the High Street opposite. Behind the car just visible to the left on Frodingham Road is The Britannia Hotel.
Scunthorpe High c1890, Edward Dores thatched cottage is on the right, the white washed buildings on the left were replaced in 1896 by new shops and a public hall which later was renamed the Empire Theatre. Further up the is the Blue Bell hotel.
Looking down Ashby High Street, on the left are the second and third Ashby Wesleyan Methodist chapels which opened in 1871 and 1907 respectively. The white washed building is where the entrance to Stockshill Road now starts, further along is Ashby library.
This photo is looking west along Ashby High Street with the Kendall Memorial Church on the right which is now the site of the market. Just beyond the church the pub sign can be seen hanging outside the old Crown which was replace by the current Crown in 1909. Jackson’s drapers and outfitters can be seen on the left.
In this view along Ashby High Street the small building nestling between the two houses on the right was the first Ashby Salvation Army Hall, it is now the opening to St. Pauls Road. The premises had previously been used as a shop owned by Mr G Varah, the Salvation Army moved in to it in 1909. The current Salvation Army Hall on the corner of Collum Avenue is virtually opposite this original hall. The Salvation Army has also occupied another two sites in Ashby – Modder Street from 1932 to 1968 and Collum Avenue 1968 to 1999.
Scunthorpe High Street in 1902 (back then this stretch was called Frodingham Road). To get some perspective of where this is today – to the left of the alleyway in the centre is Sports Direct whilst to the right is Thornton’s. On the extreme right of the photo is a wall post to the Primitive Connexion’s Methodist Chapel.
Looking along Scunthorpe High Street from Ravendale Street in the 1950s
A mid summers weekday view along Scunthorpe High Street in the late 1950’s. On the centre left is Gilliat Street whilst centre right is Ravendale Street. On the pavement to the right are four girls from the John Leggott Grammar School – they are wearing lower school blazers, so would have had written permission.
A 1950’s view looking west along Scunthorpe High Street with Littlewoods seen on the right.
A view from the newly built precinct looking up Scunthorpe High Street in the early 1970’s. The Midland Bank on the corner at this time was undergoing renovation works which would see this building being replaced with a more modern structure.
Uriah Long’s mill c1900.
Uriah had the Tower Mill built between 1855-58 on the site of a previous Post Mill, he was the miller here until c1920. It now forms part of the San Pietra restaurant.
The Britannia Hotel c1920.
It was built by Sutton Bean and Co in 1906 and named after their ‘Britannia’ brewery in Brigg. It was extended in 1936.
The former Scunthorpe Fire Station is seen here prior to demolition in the early 1970’s. It stood at the corner of Cole Street & Mary Street, the new fire station on Laneham Street replace this one in 1963. The large building seen behind the tower housed the local Yorkshire Electricity Board offices along with a substation.
An early 1960s view along Scunthorpe High Street
In this view of the precinct is Mothercare, Trueform shoes shop, Vallances, WH Smiths and Boots.
This view along Scunthorpe High Street dates from the mid 1960s looking towards Market Hill, in the distance the old market hall can be seen. This view is taken a from a very similar position to that of the picture above (although looking at the opposite side of the road).
Below is the lower end of Ashby High Street. Byron Turner’s chemist can be seen on the left of the first picture and the Co-operative to the right.
Lower end of Ashby High Street
A 1960s view along Scunthorpe High Street, this area was pedestrianised during the mid 1970s
Belgrave Square looking towards Scunthorpe High Street in the mid 1960s
A view looking up the High Street in Scunthorpe with St. John the Evangelist Church in 1912
The view above is looking east along the lower end of Ashby High Street and shows the junction with Queen Street on the left (now called Appleton Way). On the left is Crawshaw’s fish shop, Miss Morris’s, Dales and then Miss May’s. On the opposite side at no68 was Powell’s bike shop and then at 70 was Smithson’s Off-Licence – which later became a cobblers.
Panto Cast of 1992 visit shoppers in British Home Stores
The cast of the Christmas Panto, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, took a break from the Civic Centre to visit shoppers in the town centre in 1992. Theatre boss Bryan Stubbs urged panto fans to get their bookings in soon to be sure of a seat as 60% of the tickets had already been sold.The panto would run for five weeks and would feature 60 performances with a total of 22,380 tickets available. The show was a version of the classic childrens fairy tail being performed by the John Spiller Pantomime Company. The role of Snow White was taken by Karen Worth while the handsome prince by Antonio Cortez and the seven dwarfs were lead by Rusty Goffe – it was set to be the most expansive panto staged in Scunthorpe to date.
View from Kingsway c1955
Above is a view taken from Kingsway looking across to Doncaster Road hill in the early 1950’s, the land to the fore was later remodeled to form Kingsway Gardens. Below is a view of Kingsway Gardens during the late 1950’s
Kingsway Gardens late 1950’s
Messingham Road in 1967
Britannia Corner c1950. Many people would remember the newspaper sellers at Britannia Corner (outside the pub on the High Street) one of which can be seen here.
This view of Britannia Corner was taken c1950, the pub was opened in 1907 and extended in 1932. To the right is the former shelter which was removed in the 1990s.
The shelter at Britannia Corner which was removed in the 1990’s
Looking South along Ashby Road in the late 1950s.
The road junction on the right is Brumby Wood Lane whilst the junction to the left (next to the bus and cyclist) being that of Rowland Road – a roundabout controls traffic at these junctions today. The newly laid Festival Gardens with its distinctive ‘mushroom shelter’ can be seen. This part of Ashby Road was made into a dual carriageway in the 1960s.
Scunthorpe High Street in the late 1930s looking towards Heslam’s Furniture Store.
A number of the parks in Scunthorpe had old steam engines for children to play on, Jubilee Park had a Steam Loco and Everest Road park had a steam roller. The pictures above and below show the steam traction engine which stood in Central Park.
Ashby High Street and the Brown Cow
The Brown Cow pub can be seen in the picture above, it was built behind the original Brown Cow pub which was a white washed stone building which stood at the road side. To the left is Stockshill Road and further down is Ashby library. The building which the advertisements on the side was Else’s Newsagents.
Construction continues at the Civic Centre on 23rd June 1961 as the 20 ton roof structure to the council chamber takes shape. The building opened in 1963, it was remaned Pittwood House in 1996 and became a Grade II Listed Building in 1998 – it reverted back to its original name – Civic Centre – in 2011.
A view along Manley Street looking towards Scunthorpe Market in 1967, the white building at the far left of this street being the side of the Blue Bell Hotel.
Looking East along the Market frontage in the early 1960s
Looking West along the Market frontage in the early 1960s
Looking East along Chapel Street towards Market Hill In the early 1960’s.
The large building at the end was for many years Kirman’s Ironmongers, the rear of the market can be seen beyond this.
Looking along Scunthorpe High Street in 1967
In this late 1930’s view along Scunthorpe High Street Littlewoods is on the left, it opened in 1936. Further along is Heslam House which opened in the mid 1950s and Woolworths can be seen just beyond it. On the right is Alexander’s tailors and Timpsons shoe shop.
In this late 1930s view of Scunthorpe High street is Holder Brothers music shop on the left and Potts Cosy cafe next to it.
A view of Scunthorpe High Street in 1929 from the junction with Ravendale Street.
Quibell Park is seen here in 1966. The Grandstand was built in 1951 and opened for the Festival of Britain in 1952, it measured 81′ long x 34’wide x 46′ high. The track and veledrome were added in the mid 1960,s. Woodlands Cremetorium, which can be seen behind, opened in 1964.
Looking West along Ashby High Street in the first decade of the last century, on the right is the original Crown public house.
Looking along Old Brumby Street towards its present day junction with Revesby Avenue. The old village pump can be seen on the right.
This photograph was taken by Essoldo Cinema projectionist Ken Bath in the 1950’s, he work there during the 1950’s & 60’s. Taken from the roof of the picturehouse it is looking along Cole Street towards the juction with Wells Street and captures a bus croosing the junction and heading up Scunthorpe High Street. The photograph below is looking in the opposite direct, from ground level, back towards the cinema some 10 years later.
In this 1960’s view along Cole Street we can see Parker & White’s Army & Navy Stores and further along the prominent building the Post Office and then The Essoldo Cinema at the junction with John Street. It’s from the roof of the cinema that Ken Baths took the above photograph some 10 years earlier.
An early view looking along Diana Street in Crosby.
A view along Carlton street in 1981. To the right is steel work to the Leisure Centre which is under construction, the former cattle market offices to the fore and Leo’s supermarket is seen beyond.
A view looking West along Scunthorpe High Street c1980
The Furnace Arms is seen here in 1979, it stood at the lower end of Scunthorpe High street and in its latter days was called Bentleys.
S&G’s store stood at the corner of Scunthorpe High Street and Home Street.
Looking towards Ashby Turn in the 1960s.
the end property was being removed to make safety improvements at the junction.
John Street and the bus garages in the mid 1960s.
Today this road is called Jubilee Way and forms part of the Parishes Shopping Centre.
A 1980’s view along Ashby High Street toward the junction with Collum Avenue.
A 1960s view along Ashby Road looking towards the junction of Hopkins Avenue
The newly constructed market frontage in the 1960s
Many people have fond memories of the paddling pools in Central Park
A late 1960s view along Scunthorpe High Street from Britannia Corner. Many people will recall the paper stand which can be seen stood outside the Britannia Hotel.
A view along Winterton Road at the rear of Scunthorpe Market during the 1980s
Woodland Crematorium opened on the 12th November 1964 with a dedication service being lead by the Lord Bishop of Lincoln.
A view along Scunthorpe High Street in 1927.
The store on the left hand side of the street, where the road narrows, is the Army Stores (this later became Woolworths). On the right coming away from the junction with Cole Street is Bee’s corner shop and near that is a sign for Dunn’s. Barclay’s Bank is on the corner of Belgrave Square and Robinson’s Hardware Store on the opposite corner. On the right of the photo is C A Maxwell’s Opticians and a sign for Cook’s Books.
In this view of Scunthorpe High Street, from 1986, we can see Jacksons Supermarket followed by The Mint pub and across the road is Greenwoods Menswear shop.
Scunthorpe High Street in October 1969
A view along Scunthorpe High Street in the early 1980s. Newstyme newsagents are offering 4p off a packet of 20 cigarettes, next door is Jim Ball’s sports shop, Supercards and then the El Toro cafe.
A view of Scunthorpe High Street in 1962 from Britannia Corner.
Brumby Corner seen here in the early 1930’s. St. Hugh’s Church, designed by Lawrence Bond, was constructed and opened to the right of this view in 1939.
Designed by Lawrence Bond.
An early view of the Wortley Hotel.
Oswald Road c1930
A view along Frodingham Road from the side of the Britannia Hotel in 1962
A view along Frodingham Road in 1963.
Scunthorpe bus station in 1968 shortly before it closed.
Scunthorpe High Street c1958, the newspaper seller can be seen stood outside the Britannia Hotel.
A 1920s view along Oswald Road
Frodingham Road c1938
Looking up Scunthorpe High Street in the 1950s
The car on the left of the road is outside The Oswald Hotel.
The following four pictures show The Blue Bell Hotel on Scunthorpe High Street during the 1960s. It was demolished in 1970 as part of the town centre redevelopment.
The Blue Bell Hotel on Scunthorpe High Street in 1963 with the familiar police phone box on the corner – the Westgate Department Store stands here today.
Another view of the Blue Bell c1967 the police phone box has no gone.
This 3rd view of The Blue Bell is taken from Market Hill in 1967
A busy scene outside The Blue Bell Hotel
Melias Grocery store at the corner of Scunthorpe High Street and Market Hill in 1966
Scunthorpe High Street c1966 prior to redevelopment. The Blue Bell Hotel is seen in the distance.
The Congregational Church on Oswald Road during the 1950s.
The church was dedicated on 4th April 1912 after a building cost of £3,040.
A view along Doncaster Road in 1962, on the right is the Doncaster Road Girls Secondary Modern School.
A view along Ashby Road in the early 1960’s
North Lindsey College construction, 1950’s
In 1951 Lindsey County Council education committee recieved the go-ahead from the government to start work on a new £1-million technical college in Scunthorpe. In January that year the education committee accepted the district valuer’s figure of £1,705 to buy 24,3 accres of land on Kingsway to build the new college.
In May 1953, 12 young apprentice builders made history when they became the first students to use the college workshops which formed the first phase of the building. Later that year 100 students were able to make use of the classrooms, laboratories and workshops. This was three years before the completion of the rest of the college and its official opening.
Plans for the 3rd & 4th phase of the college were unveiled in July 1957, these included an administration block, diningroom & kitchen, library and specialist subject rooms. In 1963 a £16.000 plan was approved to provide additional internal roads, parking for 160 cars, covered accomodation for 100 motorbikes and extra room for bicycles.
The first college principal Fredrick Jones retired in 1970 and was succeeded by Dr. Terry Melia who in turn left in 1974 to be replaced by Ron Hunt who retired after 15 years in 1989, Roy Snelling then took the helm for 12 years retiring in 2001 handing over to Dr. Roger Bennett.
In 1992 work began on a £200,000 development to provide engineering students improved services and better oppertunities. 1993 saw a £2.5-million building programme on two seperate schemes which were £1.5m on internal & external refurbishments & £1m constuction of a transport centre and fitness centre.
The sale of the Cole Street annexe paved the way for the building of a £1-million hair and beauty therapy complex.
The boiler-house which can be seen in this photo was turned into the Maurice Taylor Building for teaching IT with its chimney been taken down in 1997.
The Pavilion Cinema on the corner of Doncaster Road and Gervase Street,1961.
It was built as The Geisha Roller Skating Rink in 1909, roller skating proved to be a passing phase and by 1912 it became the Pavilion Cinema.
A 1960s view of Sherwood Vale taken from Doncaster Road
Looking along Oswald Road in the early 1920s.
Just behind the cyclist on the right is the junction with Mary Street, the Majestic Cinema was opened on this corner in 1927.
Looking towards Wells Street in 1953.
The large building just coming into shot on the right was form many years known as The Big Social, it went on to become Scene Three Nightclub then JJ’z Nightclub and was latterly Riley’s Sports Bar.
A view looking west along Scunthorpe High Street. At the junction with Cole Street is Bee’s Outfitters.
Taken c.1965 this view shows Woolworths in the centre with the Co-op to the left and the Midland Bank on the right.
Kingsway Gardens c.1956-60
A 1930s scene on Ferry Road.
Looking along Oswald Road in the 1930s
This view of the lower end of Scunthorpe High Street features Westoby’s Newsagents. The new market and food hall now occupy this site.
Scunthorpe High Street in 1984 with the Littlewoods building to the left and Woolworths to the right.
Crosby Flats under construction in the mid 1960’s taken from Warren Road before it was built upon. On the right of the photo is the Big Social Club which was home to a number of union mass meetings connected with Lysaght’s, Normanby Park works in 1980s. The white building on the left (near St. John’s Church) was Butterworths Cranes yard.
This early 1950’s view of Oswald Road is looking towards the bridge over the rail line (Howdens Hill). The junction with Church Lane and Station Road is controlled by a roundabout, the land to the left with the large notice boards is where the Bridge House Hotel was later built. The house seen on the site (with the large chimney) was the Station Master’s house and on the right of the photo is the Post Office of 1939.
Looking along Oswald Road from the junction with Church Lane c1960
Taken from The Bridge Hotel looking at the roundabout which controlled traffic at this junction with Oswald Road/Church Lane/Station Road – The Church of St. Lawrence can be seen in the background.
A view similar to the one above only this time the camera has panned slightly to the left to include the Post Office which opened in 1939.
Scunthorpe High Street in the 1920’s showing Melias shop at the corner with Market Hill.
The Royal Cinema opened on 30th September 1929. The advert on the front of the cinema reads “Robert Loraine in SOS” which ran at the cinema from 17th – 19th October 1929. When it closed as a cinema c.1960 it became a bingo hall. In the early 1980’s it was converted into a nightclub called Pickwicks, it the became Fast Eddies before another name change saw it become The Blarney Stone, in 2014 it changed name again to Oscars to reflect the buildings cinema past.
A view along Cliff Street c.1981 taken from Cottage Beck Road with Holloways bus garages on the left and Joan’s Hairdressers on the right.
A 1979 view taken from the top of the old Carlton Street multi-story car park. It shows the rear of the Furnace Arms pub and Lingard’s Cycle Shop. Across the road from the pub the former S&G Stores can be seen.
There are numerous photographs of the Frodingham viaduct taken from the south side of the structure prior to it being infilled. Some show the arches over the Scotter Road area whilst others feature all 85 arches of the 1 in 92 foot incline/decent. This rarely seen photograph was taken from the north side of the viaduct looking along Scotter Road, on the right are the trees of Cole’s Plantation. Houses now align both sides of this section of road although to the rear of the houses, which were built on the right, part of the former Cole’s Plantation remains today.
Gilliatt Street in Scunthorpe showing Wragg’s Garage and Suggs’s Shop – Sugg’s also had a shop on the High Street. Just beyon Wragg’s the gateway which is just visible is the entrance to the ‘Tin Tabernacle’ Bethal Mission Church. In 1966 the Scunthorpe Independent Liberal Club opened on this site after relocating from Cole Street – the club ceased trading in 2007 and was subsequently demolished.
Scunthorpe’s War Memorial is seen here outside the Museum on Oswald Road in the late 1950’s, it was originally sited on Doncaster Road in 1926 but relocated here around 1954.
Manor Park just off Burringham Road c1960
The corner of Collum Lane and Ashby High Street. In front of Barclays Bank in the police call box.
An ‘electric’ hand steered milk float makes its’ way along Oswald Road in 1955 – just passing Comforts Avenue.
The same view as the one above only this time a little zoomed out.
Scunthorpe Museum in 1967, to the left is the former Frodingham Vicarage for the church of St. Lawrence. The cottage in the centre was removed from 11 Church Street and reconstructed here whilst the modern extension can be seen to the right
Festival Gardens in 1955, in this image Ashby Road is still a single carriageway.
Postcard view of Festival Gardens c1955
Scunthorpe High Street in the early 1960’s with the Abbey National Building Society to the right.
Looking west up Scunthorpe High Street the large building on the left being on the corner with Ravendale Street, it was the National Provincial Bank sub branch – the main one being at the bottom of the High Street (now part of the council offices). This bank was demolished in 1935 and replaced with the current building which is now the National Westminster Bank.