The two pictures left are separated by around 100 years of time, the modern image taken in January 2007. This is lower end of Scunthorpe High Street and in bygone years was the main shopping area of the town, indeed the shops to the right where amongst the first purpose built shops in Scunthorpe. At first glance the only building that appears to be remaining in the modern image is that of the former National Provincial Bank, which was taken over by the local council in 1937 when the bank moved to new premises further up the High Street. This building had replaced an earlier building that housed Smith and Ellison’s Bank. A second glance reveals that the buildings to the right is still in there, albeit with a different facade, gone have the bay windows on the first floor and the shop space under the nearest three bay windows now occupied by one retailer namely K. Cross car showroom. The shop space under the furthest two bay window now in the modern image with the Tolet board is that of the former Lucky Las Vegas arcade. On the old picture we can also see the signage for Dunns & Sons Boot and Shoe shop. On the left of the old image can be seen KirKirkman’sonmongers which in-turn became Lingards Cycle shop, this area was cleared in the late 1990s and A nightclub called Club 2000 was built – it now has been demolished and the space remains open land.
Ashby Turn (below)
The only building recognisable in the 2007 image is the one to the left which has recently been converted into a Tesco shop. On the right of the old image is the wall to Ashby Girls school, this originally had iron railings along it which were taken down during WW2 to help in the war effort (iron & steel being a valuable commodity at that time), Ashby Link along with a medical practice now occupy this site. This stretch of Ashby High Street at one time was called Mill Lane (then Road) as there used to be a Post Mill situated roughly to the rear of where the Tesco shop stands today, the last miller to work the mill was Mr.R.A Ashbee.
A view of Spavin’s Garage at Ashby Turn in 1938 and as a Tesco Express in 2014
Central Park Fountain
Over thirty years separate the views here of the Ornamental Fountain Gardens at Central Park. The flower beds were removed and it became an unloved area of the park, however they have now been re-instated in a less exuberant form.The conifer surrounding the gardens were removed in 2007. Central Park was designed to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the Borough of Scunthorpe, the first phase costing £25.755. The Ministry of Housing and Local Government sanctioned the loan required and work was planned to start in January 1957. Original plans included a band stand, mini golf course, paddling pools, a stream, model boating pools, conservatory, meteorological station, woodland area and formal and informal park areas. The first phase was between Festival Gardens and the new Technical Collage with plans then to develop the whole of the site from Ashby Rd along the Kingsway Central Park Ornamental Fountain.
This view is separated by 30 years. In 1984 this street was called John Street, today it is called Jubilee Way
Cole Street in May 1976 & December 2014. In the older photo we can see the road is still open to traffic, this area was pedestrianised the following year.
Oswald Road c.1950 and 2014. In the older photo the junction is controlled by a roundabout and the station masters house is where the Bridge House Hotel was later built.
Looking along Cole Street in c1971 and December 2016. In the left view the precinct was still under construction, Cantors furniture store on the corner with High Street whilst the four shop units seen here are still tolet.
A side view of the Parkinson Arms taken from Deyne Avenue in the 1970’s with the replica London to Scarborough stagecoach on the roof of the extension. The Parkinson Arms opened in 1966 after Frank Barlow converted it from the former temperance Devon Hotel. The right hand photo show the same venue in December 2016.
Station Road c.1914 & 2014.
The road today is called High Street East. The first building seen on the right of the old image was Scunthorpe’s first library, a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Fund paid for the library, the foundation stone was laid on 10th August 1903 and it was opened by Joseph Cliff on 17th February 1904, it also served as the home of Scunthorpe Museum between 1911 and 1937. Beyond that is the Constitutional Club, it suffered great fire damaged in the early 1930’s. The buildings (at an angle) at the end were iron-ore mine managers houses. The library building was demolished in the mid 1980’s whilst the iron-ore managers houses were pulled down c.2005. The only building still standing today is that of the former Constitutional Club.
Cole Street in 1980 and 2014.
The school building on the left was demolished in 1995 and the land used as a car park prior to the redevelopment of the town centre, the Salvation Army citadel and the former Palace Theatre also made way for the new in 2000-2002.
Looking up Bridges Road in the mid 1960’s and the same view in 2014. The flats opened in 1963 and were named Langland House, after the poet William Langland – numerous roads on the estate were named after poets, Bridges Road being named after the poet Robert Seymour Bridges. The flats were renamed Trent View House in 1983
Looking down Bridges Road, Westcliff, during construction in the mid 1960’s and the same view in 2014
Looking up West Common Lane in the mid 1960’s and the same view in November 2016. The houses facing the camera to the right are on Newbolt Avenue.
Looking up Bridges Road, Westcliff, in the late 1960’s and the same view in November 2016
Looking down Clare Avenue, Westcliff, in the mid 1960’s and the same view in November 2016
Cottingham’s Enterprise works on Digby Street is seen on the left in the 1970’s, Cotto’s (as its products were branded) produced mainly washers, heaters, dryers etc. The factory closed in 1986 and the sheltered housing complex seen on the right was built in its place bearing the name Cottingham Court. You can see & see more of the Cotto’s Enterprise works here – Cotto’s Enterprise Works
Oswald Road 1979 & 2014
Broadway in Ashby in 1965 and the same view in 2014
Another picture of Broadway, Ashby, in the mid 1960’s and the same view in 2014
The Jubilee Cinema, Laneham Street was built as a Jubilee Hall by Scunthorpe Co-operative Society in 1925, but became a cinema in 1927. In 1930 a new Western Electric Sound System was installed. Many people would remember the Harlequin restaurant upstairs. It closed as a cinema in 1955 and the building has now been converted into a Chinese restaurant called the Pearl City.
The Conservative Club 1897 & 2016. The left hand picture shows the Conservative Club which was on the lower part of the High Street. It’s seen decorated on 22nd June 1897 for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Next door is the Smith & Ellison Bank, the bank building was replaced by the National Provincial Bank c1912 and now forms part of the Council offices in Church Square. The Conservative Club building still stands today and was for many years the Lucky Las Vegas arcade.
Cottage Beck Road in 1979 and 2014
Chestnut Way circle, Lincoln Gardens, in the 1950’s and 2014
Ken and Ralp Stebbing outside their Fish & Chips shop on the corner of Cemetery Road and Haig Avenue. Ralph had bought the premises in the early 1930’s, he used to cycle to the train station to pick up boxes of fresh fish from Grimsby. Today the premises is still a food take-a-way but specialises in Chinese food.
The new market frontage c.1970 and 2014
The precinct clock tower in the 1970’s and the same view in 2014
Over 100 years separate these to views of the viaduct on Scotter Road, the boy with the cycle is stood where the cars are emerging from Brumby Wood Lane whilst the old wooden sign post has been replaced with a modern ‘weight limit’ sign. Due the the ground it was built on in 1864 the trains had speed limits which they had to adhere to whilst on the viaduct. Between 1910 & 1912 most of the arches were filled in to strengthen the structure and the speed limits were then raised.
Around One Hundred years separate these two images of Diana Street c.1914 & 2014
Frodingham Road in the 1960s and December 2016
Carlton Street 1979 & 2014
Britannia Corner c1955 and 2016
Oswald Road in the 1960’s and 2014
The precinct in the early 1980’s and now renamed The Foundry in 2014
The Oswald Hotel seen in 1969 and how it looks in 2014.
Heslam House furniture store was converted from the former Primitive Methodist Chapel in the mid 1930’s, here it is accompanied by the view in 2014
Two views of Kingsway Gardens c1960 and 2016. The lily pond and the shelter can be seen in the older image whilst on the horizon is former Keadby coal fired power station.
The old image above shows the house of Dr. James Couldry on the left. It is believed that he practiced in Scunthorpe from c.1881 and around 1911 his nephew Dr. Thomas Reginald Couldry practiced from these premises before moving to 116 High Street and then 76 Oswald Road. The house later became the headquarters of the Scunthorpe branch of the RAF Association, it then became The Phoenix Club but that closed in November 1977. Sam Smiths brewery bought the building and opened it as The Pig and Whistle public house in 1980. The road going left just past this house is Home Street (see below). To the right, the building with the horse & dray outside was that of the Scunthorpe Co-operative Society’s Central Stores which were opened in September 1888, these stores were superseded in 1910 when then new central stores opened in the High Street.
The images above show a view of Home Street taken from where the horse & dray are in the photograph above. On the extreme left of the picture we can see the side of Dr. James Couldrey’s house. Barely visible on the old image between the door and the second lower window is the doctors plate. The building beyond is and outbuilding which can still be seen on the modern day image on 2007, past this is a shop which is now The Tudor House Fish & Chip shop/restaurant, all the buildings beyond this and to the right have long gone indeed to the right is the rear of Scunthorpe market which was converted into a car park in 2013
Scunthorpe High Street c.1982 & 2014.
The Jim Ball Sports shop in the old image has been replaced by the Vodafone shop in the new whilst next up, Supercards has been replaced by the Cancer Research Charity Shop. Next to them is the El Toro Cafe which can still be seen in the 2014 image though Newstyme (seen on the left) has gone, along with the building, to be replaced with the Thomas Cook travel agency.
Burringham Road close to Ashby Turn. The older image is from 1972 and shows Warburton’s Chemist shop along side Coopers Heating & Plumbing shop. The newer image was taken in 2007.
The photo on the right shows gas mask practice on Scunthorpe High Street during World War 2 – the same view in December 2016
These to views of Priory Lane are taken less then 10 years apart which just shows how things can radically change in such a short space of time. The original houses being of the Spooner home design were constructed from the late 1940’s being complete in 1954 and called The Sunnyside Estate, in the 1990’s a structural fault was found in them, the cost of repair outweighed the cost of redevelopment and after long legal wranglings with some home owners the estate was cleared and redeveloped and completed in 2006.
Riddings service station on Willoughby Road taken just over 40 years apart. The early image is from the mid 1960’s whilst the later is from 2007. For many years it was known as Knights garage selling Mobil petrol then Jet petrol and now Club. It is one of the very few petrol stations that still today has petrol pump attendants.
Exton’s garage on Rowland Road is seen on the left in 2007, by 2010 houses had been constructed on the site, the picture on the right was taken in June 2014
The Pavilion Cinema, Doncaster Road, Scunthorpe, on the corner of Gervase Street, on 25 October 1961 on the left.
This was the largest of Scunthorpe’s then eight cinemas with 1,371 seats. Its nickname the rink came from its original use as a roller skating rink when it was built in 1909, by 1912 it had been converted to a theatre and went on to screen films. It closed down on 1st October 1961 and was for a time a health club. The name lives on in the line of shops that now occupies the site called Pavilion Row seen on the right in July 2010
Plymouth Road on the Westcliff Estate seen under construction on the left in February 1969. On the right is the same view from April 2008.
On the left is Wortley House, c.1910-1916.
Taken from Clay Lane (now Rowland Road).
It was built c.1880 by the Cliff brothers who owned Frodingham Ironworks and named after Wortley near Leeds where they had a plumbago works. The younger brother, Philip Cliff resided at the house until 1884. Maximilian Mannaberg also lived here when he came to Scunthorpe to commence steelmaking.
It is now The Wortley Hotel, the roofs and chimneys to the houses on Cemetery Road can also be seen to the right.
A view along Scunthorpe High Street in 1980 and 2014. The area between Ravendale Street North and Francis Street was pedestrianised during the early 1980’s
The Co-op No20 Branch on Warwick Road and neighbouring greengrocers c.1970 and in 2014 seen as Little Goslings Nursery.
Willoughby Road shops c.1960 & 2014
The Comet Hotel on East Common Lane in 1971 & 2014
Scunthorpe High Street in 1986 & 2014.
Indigo clothes shop was a popular place for fashion, Jackson’s supermarket can be seen followed by The Mint public house, across the road is Greenwoods Menswear. In the 2014 picture the PMP recruitment agency has replaced Indigo, Jackson’s has been replaced with a Credit Union and The Mint is now called The Penny Bank.
Scunthorpe High Street c.1966 & 2014.
The building on the left of the old photo houses British Home Stores whereas in the 2014 image Primark have taken over. On the right of the old photo all the buildings were demolished in the late 1960’s to make way for the new precinct seen on the 2014 image.
Doncaster Road cutting c.1924 & 2014.
The roadway we know today as Doncaster Road was created between 1921 and 1923 and took in a stretch from Britannia Corner through to Exeter Road, which was previously known as Clayfield Road, from there it continued as a rural pathway which ran down the hill – this was called Occupation Lane. Work on the new road began in February 1921 and was complete by 31st October 1923. The cost of the road was £81,000 with a length of 2.76 miles. The Town Guide of 1924 noted “The opening in 1923 of the new arterial road from Scunthorpe to Keadby Bridge gave it direct access to Doncaster and the great industrial towns of Yorkshire and beyond. This very fine road, the width between the fences being 70ft and the carriageway 24ft wide. The total cost of the road was about £81,000 and a total length of two and three-quarter miles.”
Two views along Cottage Beck Road.
The early image date from c.1912, the houses seen on Cemetery Road were built in 1909 and we can see by the time this photo was taken it had already become commercial premises and is still as such today. In the 2014 image the houses seen on the right hand side had been built during the 1930’s.
Cottage Beck Road 1963 & 2014.
These two images are taken looking in the opposite direction to the one above.
Cyril Nottingham’s butchers can be seen on the corner with Beauchamp Street and further along in an hairdressers which a little girl is stood outside.
Two views taken from Wells Street in c1969 and December 2016. In the c1969 view we can see the side of British Home Stores (BHS) and the bus is just emerging from the High Street. Further along is the Post office on Cole Street and the Essoldo Cinema next door. All the buildings had been demolished to make way for the new shopping precinct.
Winterton Road in 1979 and 2014. This building was converted into the Pig & Whistle pub in 1980.
A view across North Street looking towards Winterton Road in 1979 and 2014 The white building was converted into The Pig & Whistle pub in 1980, by 2014 the tree had certainly grown.
Ravendale Street North 1980 & 2014
A total transformation can be seen in these two images from c.1916 & 2014.
In the old image on the left is the old market hall which opened on 2nd March 1906, on the right is the Blue Bell Hotel which was demolished in 1970, on from that is the Empire Theatre which was originally built as a Public Hall in 1895 – it burnt down on 24th May 1942 and beyond the Theatre are shops-cum-houses. The Binns Department Store opened on the site of the Blue Bell in 1974 (now Westgate Department Store), the land where the Empire Theatre stood is now an open space in front of the current library.
Belgrave Square in the 1960’s and 2014.
Lingard’s and Rand’s Cash & Carry was on the left (just out of shot) in the old image whilst on the right the house and first two shops disappeared in the 1970’s.
Around 47 years separate these to views of Scunthorpe High Street. The older image dates from c.1967 whilst the second is from September 2014
On the left was Robinson’s Ironmonger’s at 83 High Street and 2 Belgrave Square seen here in the 1920’s whilst on the right the shop is vacant having recently being a jewelers.
Nearly 45 years separate these two images taken on Chapel Street. In the modern image we see the semi detached house to the right has been removed and the remaining buildings have been given a coat of paint.
Scunthorpe High Street in the late 1930’s and 2014
Two views taken from Cross Street looking to Home Street. In the mid 1960’s view there are houses and commercial premises, these were cleared in the late 60’s as the market was redeveloped. This area formed part of the outside market area for around 35 years but now has been given over to a car park.
Spavin’s Garage on Cottage Beck Road in 1932 and the same scene in 2014 – however, in 2016 a BetFred Bookmakers was built and opened on this site.
Chapel Street in the early 1960’s is seen on the left, all these houses were demolished and by the 1966 the new Market Hill Estate (seen right) was complete.
Frodingham Road in 1919 on the left, the crowd is seen dressed in their best clothes to watch the Crosby Peace Celebrations for the signing of the Treat of Versailles which formally ended World War One – On the right the same location in 2016.
The Scunthorpe War Memorial outside the Museum in 1957 and 2014
Cole Street in the mid 1960s and 2016
A view along Wells Street in c1965 & November 2016 The large building on the left was opened in 1960 as British Home Stores, by 2016 it became home to Primark. The shops just beyond, on the corner of High Street and Cole Street were demolished in 1969 to make was for the new shopping precinct.
Oswald Road in the 1970s and the same view in December 2016