What’s in a name, here we take a look at some of the street names in the Borough of Scunthorpe & neighbouring town of Bottesford, we’ll also take a look at how some have been misspelt.
The name Redbourn is derived from the site of the Redbourn Hill Iron & Coal Company. The company was named Redbourn, not after the village of Redbourne (with an e) but by the name locals gave to the area where the Redbourn Works were built as it had red sandy coloured hillocks people called the area Red Burn Hills, where the ‘o’ in burn comes from to me at least is not known, given that Emmanuel Beck runs through here, the beck a small stream or a bourn, it could be that the name is an amalgam of these. In 1917 the Redbourn Hill Iron & Coal Company was taken over by Richard Thomas & Co (later Richard Thomas & Baldwins). In 1918 this company obtained 330 acres of land in Frodingham and Brumby and under the name of the Redbourn Village Society planned to build 11,000 houses in the Cottage Beck Rd area, only one-fifth were ever built by 1923.Hence the name Rebourn Way. It is of interest to note that in the passage of time when the name plates where changed an ‘e’ was added to the name so now the street is incorrectly signed as Redbourne Way.
In his efforts to house some of the population coming into the area to work in the fledgling iron industry Rowland Winn planned the township of New Frodingham but this was only partially built, probably due to land owners being responsible for the poor, if the iron fields ceased the out of work labourers living on Winns land would drive up the local Poor Rate. The New Frodingham Village consisited of 193 houses on the six streets that were eventually built, they were originally called 2nd Street North (William St), 3rd Street North (Winn St), 4th Street North (Lindsey St), 5th Street North (Redbourn St), 3rd Street South (Trent St) & 4th Street South (Cliff St). It was circa 1913 that the numbering ceased and the current street names were given. Although where the derivation of William Street is not known to me the other street names come from ironworks whose employees they housed. Frodingham Ironworks were owned by Joseph Cliff and known locally as Cliffs.
Named after Bolingbroke Castle the birth place of King Henry IV in 1366; eldest son of John of Gaunt and the only English King to be born in Lincolnshire. Bolingbroke means ‘the home by the brook of Bulla’s people’ and is a fifth or 6th century Saxon name, refering to the stream that still runs through the village of old Bolingbroke today. Bolingbroke castle was constructed around 1220-1230 with the earliest reference to it being in 1232. It was built by Randulph de Blundeville, Earl of Cheshire (& Earl of Lincoln from 1217).
One on the more eminent family’s in the Bottesford area were the Peacock family. Edward Peacock(1831-1915) resided at Bottesford Manor until about 1887 when he moved to Kirton-in-Lindsey. He was an eminent antiquary and historian: he was known by men of similar learning, not only in his own country but also in Europe and America. A large number of his manuscripts are housed in the John Rylands library in Manchester, where one of his sons, Julian held a responsible position. Another of Edward’s sons, Rev. E. Adrian Peacock (1858-1922), once the Vicar of Cadney and later Rector of Grayingham wa a naturalist of a very high order.
Ashby, historically and at this time, was under the Parish of Bottesford, indeed Bottesford Vicarage stood near to Ashby Turn, the original building being built on and is now Sycamore Lodge Care Home.
Whilst it’s known that all the streets on the Riddings Estate are named after villages of Lincolnshire and some from the Nottinghamshire area all ending in ‘by’ apart from Morley Rd, one particular street name stands out. Angerstein Road; the section from Messingham Rd to the brow of the hill was constructed in the 1930s with houses being built in the 30s & 40s the lower section from the brow of the hill down to Willoughby Rd was layed during the construction of the Riddings Housing Estate during the 1950s. So where does the name come from? It is the surname of John Julius Angerstein (1735-1823) who after the Ashby in Bottesford Enclosure Act of 1801-1809 was awarded a Special Allotment as Lord of the Manor of some 35 Acres & 2 Roods. Mr Angerstein was born in St. Petersburg Russia, his family were of German origin, he emigrated to England and settled in London in 1749. He became a Lloyd’s underwriter by the age of 21. He became close friends with William Pitt the younger, Prime Minister for over 25 years. He became a distinguished patron of the arts and built up quite a collection. Indeed on his death the government purchased his collection of artworks, some 40 in total, for £60,000 and handsome sum, these formed the nucleus of the National Gallery
This court in Crosby is named after Lance Mallalieu.
He was a local MP who represented Brigg and Scunthorpe for 25 years as a Labour member having initially spending four years as a Liberal. He was knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List in 1974 for services to Parliament and he was latterly Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons.
The road and indeed the estate is named after James Henderson who was a local leading councillor, he was also managing director of Appleby-Frodingham steelworks from 1920 to 1934.
Sam Pool farmed this area being the farmer residing at Leys Farm.
Named after Arthur Howden who was born at West Rasen c1818. He came to Frodingham and became one of the early local schoolmasters of the time, head of a school opposite Frodingham Vicarage (which now forms part of North Lincolnshire Museum). One of his daughters later became the school head. Arthur Howden lived in a cottage close to the Church of St. Lawrence and thus when the bridge was opened on Sunday 17th July 1927 it became known as Howdens Hill.
The name was originally to be Caister Avenue, after Stephen Caister who had left money for the poor of the Parish of Bottesford. his burial took place around 1706. It’s uncertain as to why the spelling was changed tho one reason given was that it’s though the name of the town had been misspelt so the alteration was made.
Named after the Rev Thomas Boughton (right) who was the vicar of Scunthorpe from 1909 to 1921, he was also the chairman of the Scunthorpe Citizen’s League
George H Spavin (below left) was born in 1895 and died in 1963, he fought in WWI before he was invalided out due to gas poisoning.
He started a building firm as well as becoming a local councillor and served as Mayor in 1939/40. His company – G H Spavin building company (it became a LTD Company in 1955) – built some of the houses in Parkinson Avenue and a large detached house at the side of Doncaster Road school playing field.
His company also built most of the houses along Church Lane, Exeter Road and the roads leading off it. Leonard Crescent was named after one of his sons whilst Philip’s Crescent was named after his nephew. Bruce Street was named after one of his nieces – Maizie Bruce Spavin.
Exeter Road was named after George H Spavin’s solicitor who came from Exeter.
The Healey family were well known in the local area, they once resided at the old Hall in Burringham. In 1535 Edward Healey was Chantry Preiast of Ashby.