Scunthorpe’s Lottery

Many people will remember the lottery booth which was situated near the clock tower in the shopping precinct which sold tickets for Scunthorpe’s official town lottery. The aim of the lottery, which started in 1979, was to raise money for the mayor’s appeal fund. Most of the sales were carried out from the booth in the…

Shops of Yesteryear

On this page we will build up a collection of shops that once traded in our towns High Streets and Estates. Some well known shops, like Kirman’s Ironmongers and the S & G Stores have been given there own page as too has Elses Newagents in Ashby, we will endevour to add more.    

New Methodist Church opens on the Riddings Estate

With the building of the new Riddings Estate in Ashby from 1954 there was a need for various public services ranging from shops, a library, community centre and churches to mention but a few. The first of the two churches to be built on the new Riddings Estate was the Methodist Church on Willoughby Road in…

The Pavilion Cinema

The hall opened in 1909 on the corner of the towns Gervase Street & Clayfield Road (later renamed Doncaster Road) for the worldwide craze at the time for roller skating and was called Geisha Rink. However this craze quickly fazed and it was soon converted to a cinema and leased out to Mr Henry Newton who would…

Pubs & Clubs

On this page we will try to build up a portfolio of the various pubs that trade or have traded within the Scunthorpe area, some pubs are steeped in history and deserve their own page like The Crosby Hotel, others will be added here over due course. The Beckwood. Opened on Thursday 10th November 1977. Built for…

Kirman’s Ironmongers

Kirman’s Ironmongers & General Stores were a familiar sight and destination for shoppers many years ago, many people will remember the shop which stood on Chapel Street whilst those of an older generation would recall the premises at the top of Market Hill (seen as the header picture of our pages) –  there was once even…